Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Best of both worlds

The skiing in Lake Tahoe is really good right now. After weeks of snowstorms and powder skiing we've been left high and dry in what I like to call June-uary. June-uary is anytime in January that feels more like June. This condition is not uncommon in Lake Tahoe and has actually become the norm for the past several years. Fortunately for us our dense snow cycles from powder to corn very quickly making for consistently good conditions with very little downtime. Yesterday at Alpine Meadows I found good cold powder and chalky snow in the upper north-facing areas and smooth springy corn-like snow on lower south-facing pitches, pretty much the best of both worlds. Check out this short video that I shot with my GoPro POV camera yesterday morning.

After spending the morning skiing around Alpine I headed over to Squaw to ski with my girlfriend Lynn and her friend Alli Donovan. Much to my surprise the skiing was excellent there as well. Wind-buff laps on Headwall face and the funnel, with skied up powder down Northbowl. Even though Squaw Valley is only about a half mile from Alpine I rarely ski there, and doing the Alpine-Squaw double down is even more rare. I must say that I had a great time and I got to experience the best of both worlds...


No comments:

Post a Comment